John M. Bissell Foundation, Inc. is dedicated to promoting the production, distribution, and exhibition of films in the Vermont community. The Bissell Foundation seeks to support the local film community, local film festivals, and generally educating Vermonters about the value of film in our lives and culture.
The Bissell Foundation is a qualified 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation which can administer grants and accept tax deductible donations.
The Directors of the Bissell Foundation held their Annual Meeting on March 6, 2013. Funds for 2013 have been committed.
The John M. Bissell Foundation, Inc. will be accepting grant proposals again starting on December 1, 2013.
- Funding for a film projector and screen to be used at Burlington City Arts in Burlington, Vermont.
- Funding for the post-production costs of Rob Koier's film "Strength of the Storm."
- Funding for projectors, ceiling mounts, and cables for Helen Day Art Center in Stowe, Vermont.
- Funding toward Macedonian Arts Council and Pavlina Proevska's film "My American Pilgrimage."
- Funding toward the film "Northern Borders" by Jay Craven.
- Funding for the food theme series of film showings at Vermont International Film Festival. The festival ran from October 19, 2012 through October 28, 2012.
- Funding for a new interactive touch screen exhibit opening this fall in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary Grand Reopening of Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum.
- Funding for City View Production's film "One Voice."
- Funding for the screening of "Wake Up Darkness" at Johnson State College.
- Funding toward the film "Project New Beginnings" by Bess O'Brien.
- Funding for the screening license of Singing Revolution which was viewed at Johnson State College on January 25, 2012.
- Funding for the production of "Shakespeare's Daughter" produced by Kevin McCarthy.
- Funding to support the film Out of the Past with guest speaker Rick Winston at Johnson State College.
- Funding for production of the film Departed Harvest by JoDa Hodge.
- Funding for The Vermont Movie's 14 county theatrical tour starting Spring, 2012.
- The premiere of Soul Keeper was held on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. at Palace 9 in South Burlington, Vermont. A premier was also held at River Arts with guest speaker and author Joe Citro.
- Funding for the film equipment for Helen Day Art Center in Stowe, Vermont.
- Funding for the film equipment for Chandler Center of the Arts in Randolph, Vermont.
- Funding for the short film Pearl.
- The Bissell Foundation was a sponsor during the 14th Annual Green Mountain Film Fetival. Bissell Foundation provided funding for Freedom & Unity: The Vermont Movie, Part One.
- The River Arts Bissell Film Series began Thursday, January 20, 2011 at River Arts in Morrisville, Vermont and ran until July, 2011.
- The Bissell Foundation awarded a grant for the scoring of the film The Dragon Wall. The Dragon Wall was premiered at Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center in Stowe, Vermont on Sunday, January 16, 2011.
- Funding for the digitalizing of Vermont films by Vermont Historical Society.
- Funding for the support of the making of The Vermont Movie.
- Funding for the filming of KoSA International Precussion Workshop.
- Funding for the River Arts Bissell Film Series.
- Funding for Vermont Ski Museum's Hall of Fame documentaries.
- Funding for Soul Keeper.
- Exhibition and Art of Holocaust Survivor Ceija Stojka.
In the News:
- "Digitizing Historical Vermont Films: New Life for Old Films": Billings North, UVM 7:30 p.m. on January 31, 2012
- STOWE Guide & Magazine features article titled "Bissell Foundation" in its Winter/Spring 2011-12 edition
- Helen Day Art Center Receives Grant
- John M. Bissell Foundation announces new project - Caro Thompson/KOSA International Percussion Workshop
- Locals bring Joe Citro's Gothic Chiller to Screen
- River Arts Bissell Film Series is "The Summer of Walter Hacks"
- Foundation, Vermont Ski Museum team up on video history
- Silent Film Goes Public- with the help of the John M. Bissell Foundation, Inc.
- Ceija Stojka- Live, Dance, Paint
- Pacific University Oregon
- Vermonter's Estate Establishes Premier Film Foundation.
Board of Directors
Edward B. French, Jr., Esq.
David B. Stackpole, Esq.
Angela Norder, CPA
c/o Stackpole & French Law Offices
P.O. Box 819
Stowe, VT 05672
tel - (802)253-7339